and the Electric Pasta Factory
Born in 1880, the founder Luigi Dametto was a man more than two meters tall, always with a hat pulled down on his head and feet so long that his shoes had to be custom made. It could not afford going to school, but while he earned a living as a “road worker” for the town hall, he learned on his own the first rudiments of hydraulic and electrical science.
Within a decade he was able to build, utilizing the irrigation water canals originating from the nearby Piave River, three hydroelectric stations to power just as many pasta factories, a sawmill, a roller mill and a power hammer.
It is the story of a man from humble upbringing, who lived through two World Wars, the economic crisis of 1929, the first Country industrialization who, thanks to his interest in technology and progress will become the protagonist of his time.
He will bring electricity to territory rising industry and he will be involved in the building of important communication routes and of one of the first electric streetcar lines, receiving finally the appointment of the Commander of the Republic.
In 1925, at 45 years old, Luigi will give life to the Mill and Award Winning Pastificio Fratelli Dametto in Biadene di Montebelluna. The chosen headquarter is truly special: work is conducted from an antique Venetian villa. His intent is to provide a future for his children (in addition to the mill and pasta factory, he will open a sawmill, activities where electricity is an enormous competitive advantage). His son Tancredi is involved almost from the beginning in the pasta factory, which developed during the 1930s and did not come to a stop even during the Second World War.
into this picture, taken around 1925, we can read the sign Modern Pasta Factory Dametto Brothers.